Sandwell Leisure Trust run 9 leisure centres across Sandwell.
With two swimming pools, Haden Hill Leisure Centre also has a gym, two dance/fitness studios, spin studio, sports hall, squash court and sauna & steam room.
Hadley Stadium offers a full-size FIFA rated 3G all-weather pitch and grass pitch with a sports hall, athletics track and gym.
Once a former Drill Hall, Harry Mitchell Leisure Centre was presented to the residents of Smethwick in memory of Captain Henry (Harry) Mitchell by his father in 1899, along with the adjacent Broomfield cricket ground, and a small park (Harry Mitchell Park). The facility now includes two gyms – Hammer Strength and ladies only – dance studio and sports halls.
Langley Swimming Centre has a 30m swimming pool, learner pool and Tone and Go studio. The centre is used by Sandwell’s swimming clubs.
Portway Lifestyle Centre is a unique sport, health and wellbeing centre with a hydrotherapy pool, full size FIFA rated 3G all-weather pitch, dance studio, gym, sports hall, indoor climbing wall and cafe. It is also a centre of excellence for people with disabilities and is home to Portway Family Practice GP Surgery.
Previously known as Thimblemill or Smethwick Baths, Smethwick Swimming Centre opened in 1933. It has held concerts and served as a civil defence base during WWII. Some parts of the building such as the foyer, stair halls, large pool hall and others are Grade II listed. The centre has a 30m swimming pool plus 20m learner pool with a gym, dance/fitness studio and sauna & steam rooms.
Opened in 2013, Tipton Leisure Centre has two swimming pools, a gym and a dance/fitness studio with 40 classes a week to choose from. The centre is also host to a range of sports and activity clubs.
With a gym and dance/fitness studio, Tipton Sports Academy has sports facilities for regular and casual use including a full-size football pitch, athletics track and stadium plus badminton and squash. It is also the premier indoor tennis centre for the Black Country.
The newest leisure facility in Sandwell, Wednesbury Leisure Centre opened tot he public in November 2015. The site has a 25m pool, learner pool, two dance studios, dedicated spin studio, three-court sports hall and a 75-station fitness gym with the latest equipment.
Fun facts ...
- Smethwick Swimming Centre was originally a two-season facility, swimming took place in the spring/summer months and concerts were held during the winter. Stars that have appeared there include The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, Small Faces, Tommy Cooper and many others. It also hosted dances, boxing and wrestling matches and all manner of exhibitions.
- Tipton Leisure Centre was opened by Olympic, World, Commonwealth and European swimming champion Rebecca Adlington.
- A time capsule, containing a snapshot of life in 2013, was buried by two apprentices from Future Skills Sandwell prior to the construction of West Bromwich Leisure Centre.
- Wednesbury Leisure Centre is built on the former site of Crown Tube Works where steel was rolled into tube form for almost 100 years.
- The Hammer Strength Gym at Harry Mitchell Leisure Centre was once the rifle range at the side of the drill hall.
- Smethwick Swimming Centre is rumoured to be haunted and holds Ghost Hunts! Some have said that Haden Hill Leisure Centre is haunted too…
- A ballroom dancing couple once broke a World Record by dancing around Hadley Stadium’s athletic track for 5 miles to raise money for charity.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, opened the headquarters of Tipton Sports Union Trust at the Tipton Sports Academy site on 4 June 1971. These were replaced by the current facilities and opened by the then Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott 27 years later.