You've been listening to music from Langley Band & Community Band!
Langley Band is one of the oldest brass bands in the Midlands having been founded in 1878. We are based in Langley Green, in Oldbury in the Black Country. The band has around 30 musicians, mainly from the Midlands region, led by our Musical Director Cliff Parker who has directed the band since 2002. The band is made up of a diverse range of people including students, teachers, engineers, police officers, doctors, accountants, and civil servants. The players give up their own time for engagements and the twice weekly rehearsals.
We have built up an enviable reputation for providing quality musical entertainment, and are kept busy entertaining audiences performing an average of 25 concerts a year at a wide range of locations as well as competing nationally in Brass Band Championships. Whilst we have been unable to do this in person recently, we have been keeping busy during lockdown with this selection of remote music making. All of which has been put together by our percussionist Jon Pearce. If this programme leaves you wanting more, head over to our youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbw-JuwYzFwU8oi6Pqcmo9Q/videos) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/langleyband) to listen to more.
You will also hear some music from our Langley Community Brass Band. LCB’s purpose is to provide a place where anyone from any background, any age, any standard is invited to come to our band room and play purely for fun and the enjoyment of making music. Led by Saphran Ali, LCB provides a place for intergenerational music making, enabling learning and practice for players of all ages. Our players range from 8 years old to over 70 years old, coming from a wide range of backgrounds.
If you’re a brass player or percussionist and would like to get involved we would love to hear from you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
The majority of these are played by the main Langley band with some from our sister band Langley Community Band (LCB).
- Joy Peace & Happiness Composer: Richard Phillips
- Simoraine Composer: Clive Barraclough
- I will follow him Composer: Stole, Roma & Plante Arr: Goff Richards
- Over the rainbow Composer: Arlen & Harberg Arr: D. A Taylor
- Sweet Dreams (LCB) Annie Lennox & David Stewart, arr. Jonathan Pearce
- Bohemian Rhapsody Snippet Composer: Freddie Mercury Arr: Darrol Barry
- McArthur Park Snippet Composer: Jimmy Webb Arr: Alan Catherall
- A little prayer (LCB) Composer: Evelyn Glennie Arr: Robert Childs
- Orpheus in the Underworld – Infernal Galop (Can Can) Composer: Jacques Offenbach Arr: Frank Wright