Normally this time of year sees Sandwell getting ready for the 10 days of Jazz Jollity that is the Birmingham, Sandwell & Westside Jazz Festival.
Despite this year’s Festival being moved to October, there’s no breaking our 36 year run of July Festivals!
So presenting, on the original July dates scheduled for the festival, the neatly-titled Virtual But Remarkably Real Birmingham, Sandwell & Westside Jazz Festival.
Every day from July 17 to 26, there will be online Jazz Digest at 8am with regular features, a bunch of random thoughts, memories and anecdotes – some of them actually true.
- Wish We Were There: greetings and exclusive performance clips from festival favourites including The Schwings [Lithuania], The Jim Dandies [Italy], Les Zauto Stompers de Paris [France] and more
- Once Upon A Time In Jazzland: featuring Charles Brown, Madeleine Peyroux on Billie Holiday, King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys
- Don’t Worry ‘Bout The Bear: extracts from the critically aclaimed history of Birmingham’s Big Bear Records, organisers of the festival
- Waxing Lyrical: classic albums recorded at previous festivals
- Painting The Town: the art of Dave Newbould
- The Daily Sketch: artistic highlights from the annual Jazz Festival Sketch Crawl
- The Nearly Moving Picture Show: a series of classic photofilms